25 Sep 2006

Lee Kuan Yew told to explain himself

5.20am Monday September 25, 2006
New Zealand Herald
Malaysia's leader has demanded that Singapore's elder statesman, Lee Kuan Yew, explain his claim that Malaysia marginalises its ethnic Chinese minority, saying such remarks are "mischievous" and may inflame racial sentiments.

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi also indicated Lee's comments could strain bilateral ties.

Lee reportedly said the ethnic Chinese minority population in the city-state's neighbouring countries, Malaysia and Indonesia, "are hardworking and, therefore, they are systematically marginalised".


And Malays are ... what, Sir?

10 comments:

Pro Reunification said...

eg: yr daughter in law is a whore..do u really have to point it out even if its true..wat good does it do?

w said...

Soci

Your remarks can apply in any country. However, do take note that there is no explicit legal discrimination. Malays are not marginalised economically, politically is a different issue. To that your standard answer would be all parties are marginalised.

Anonymous said...

To Soci

"Malays are not marginalised economically, politically is a different issue."

Can you elaborate exactly how are Malays marginalised politically?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Liak Boh Kew

Anonymous said...

To Soci.

"And Malays are ... what, Sir?"
_______________

If you really want to know the answer to that, please read Dr. Mahathir's "The Malay Dilemma."

Liak Boh Kew

Anonymous said...

Three responses, especially for PAP apologists/ adorers of LKY.

1) So what if there's really something bad about Malaysia (or any other country's) government and policies? Is it any bloody business of LKY's for him to open his big mouth?

2) To LKY: If you must, take care of your own backyard first before you comment on others. Others may have a speck in their eyes, but you got a plank.

3) To LKY: Nice diversion from the IMF/WB fiasco (hint: don't read the self-congratulatory ego boosting articles in the local mainstream media) as well as the impending Temasek/Shin Corp/ Thaksin fallout alongside the ongoing coup in Thailand. When the shit hits the fan, throw a red herring. Fools many, but it won't fool discerning folks like me. Nice try asshole.

Matilah_Singapura said...

Ah. Nothing like the the gang warfare of statists and collectivists.

Thankfully, bribery is alive and well. Without bribery (a consequential market function when markets are interfered with) no business would be done in Asia, and everyone would be poor.

Assume a free market. Then imagine a politically (even racially) motivated government who tries to "control" the free market — by regulation, edicts, legislation, "social contracts" etc.

The more regulation there is, the bigger the incentive for private citizens and businesses to find ways to circumvent the regulations.

Therefore I proposed a toast: 3 cheers for bribery, and the fact that many Asian public officials are bribable.

The free market operates whether one likes it or not. So, screw the collectivists!

Anonymous said...

To
anonymous - 9/26/2006 01:51:28 PM said...

Three responses, especially for PAP apologists/ adorers of LKY.

> 1) So what if there's really something bad about Malaysia (or any other country's)
> government and policies? Is it any bloody business of LKY's for him to open his big mouth?

He was asked for his comments and he gave it honestly using facts. What's the problem?

> 2) To LKY: If you must, take care of your own backyard first before you comment on others.
> Others may have a speck in their eyes, but you got a plank.

His point was that Malaysia and Indonesia view Singapore as "adek"(younger brother) who must kow-tow to them as "abang"(older brother).When *they* say jump, Singapore should say "How high?" It grates them that we are not compliant to their wishes. The example he gave about the Chinese being marginalised there is factual and accurate. Again, what's the problem with being stout and resolute to bullies. So you would prefer if Singapore become a vassal state of our two Muslim neighbours. What have you got against truth and standing up for Singapore? You prefer we curl up and die everytime our neighbours raise their volume of Singapore bashing? Get a clue braniac.

> 3)To LKY: Nice diversion from the IMF/WB fiasco(hint: don't read the self-congratulatory
> ego boosting articles in the local mainstream media) as well as the impending Temasek/Shin
> Corp/Thaksin fallout alongside the ongoing coup in Thailand. When the shit hits the fan,
> throw a red herring. Fools many, but it won't fool discerning folks like me. Nice try
> asshole.

I think the remarks were made before the coup in Thailand. So much for your diversion theory. If you are correct about him creating a diversion then apart from him being Devil incarnate he must be also psychic. Or maybe you should cook up yet another fictional tale that he was in cahoots with the Thai coup-leaders and had inside knowledge.

The next time you want to rant at least try using an argument that avoids fiction and perverse logic. From what you write, you can't discern your rear end from your pie-hole. Fools did you say? Most appropriate self-description wouldn't you say? Finally, at least you got THAT right.

Boey K. Gian.

Teck Soon said...

I think all Singaporeans are politically marginalised to some extent, due to the myriad un-democratic features of the Singapore system.

Anonymous said...

Try running for office in the US. If you don't have a war chest running into tens of millions forgeddaaboudit. How's that for being marginalised?

Anonymous said...

Although I'm no fans of LKY and his empire..
But he's is right.."screws the Malays" and more cheers to bribery..