21 Sept 2005

A call from the police

The police has intesified investigations against me by calling up blogger Jacob George whose number is listed on my mobile. The walls are closing in. Not only am I not able to speak freely on my own phone, the police is now closing in on individuals who are totally unconnected with the making of 'Singapore Rebel.'

Depressed,
Martyn See
http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/


News alert from omekanahuria.blogspot.com/

A call from the police

About 12.15pm yesterday, I received a call from an ASP Chan of the Singapore Police Force. He requested an interview with me with regards to the ongoing investigations into the documentary, Singapore Rebel, by Martyn See.

I asked the ASP why he wanted to talk to me. He replied that he's talking to some of Martyn's friends and acquaintances as part of the investigations. He mentioned that I've been in contact with Martyn via SMS.

When the ASP called, I asked him how he got my mobile number. He just replied "through our investigations". I asked him a few times but he gave the same reply. Not many people have my mobile number. Those who do would've told me if they had been approached for my number. Nobody did.

We will probably meet next week.

Like I've written so many times before, it's not as if the documentary was a training video for the JI terrorist group!!

This unneccessary investigation is being taken to ridiculous levels.


2 comments:

Jon said...

Speaking of mobile phones, the sg police, and 'lawful' seizures thereof, I read a small Straits Times article (30 Aug) about a local police imposter who asked a girl for her mobile phone and then disappeared with it. Now, according the ST, the cops made a statement saying nobody should hand their belongings to the police unless at a police station.

Talk about hipocrisy. But what is really more scary; that the cops can literally take whatever they want? Or the fear that majority of s'poreans have of authority to blindly give whatever they want. The line that divides obeying the law and civil rights is not really that thin to see.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am not surprised. I've confirmed that I'm being monitored as well. No point looking over my shoulders to see if I've been followed. This is Singapore. I'm not driving but walking. It's a over-crowded island. Walking means the speed is slow. No chasing needed, hence no slip-up by my trailer.

Anyway, most of the monitoring takes place via the phone-line. The bugging takes place at Singtel, Starhub, M1 etc of fixed, mobile, paging and internet traffic. Now the legislation is in place to cover the once-upon-a time loop-hole of pre-paid mobile. The reason given is counter-terrorism. Well, I'm no terrorist, political film-maker, nor a political-dissident? No reason to tap my line?

Get real. Politics is war. Intelligence is a valuable tool to out-maneuvre, ambush and annihilate potential threats. The common argument that there is too many lines to monitor is fallacious. Technology (voice recognition etc) has advanced enough to make it no longer a chore. Anyway, they are not monitoring everybody, but it is probably in the thousands. Read my blog (http://plusminus48degreeswobble.blogspot.com) to make up your own mind as to why I'm being monitored.

I was once dragged out of bed to the control tower at paya lebar airport by my sergeant where he showed me how to listen in to conversations on lf radio. So, with the government being in control of almost everything, and being able to bring to bear pressure on the remainder they don't have control over .... Anyway, since they already know where I can be found all the time, I haven't updated my IC address for the past ten years in contravention to nro legislation. That's a five year five thousand offence, but they are in no hurry to charge, believe me. Nor need I fear.

Best practice is to be paranoid. If you have reason to, use as low-tech a means of communication as possible (but not homing pigeons, and not because of avian-flu), play the king of rock loud as hell to cover your hush-hush conversations. Personally hand-deliver everything. Get a bug detector. Apply for a pr elsewhere as an exit option if you can. Watch spy-movies and read spy-novels for tips. And remember, the government is paranoid, and has the wherewithal to make you just as paranoid. Even if they won't go as far as the midnight knock on the proverbial door, they probably have shown intent. You have a minister of law and a minister of home affairs for deputy prime ministers. What more evidence do you need? Organised dancing on Orchard Road?